background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Camping Retreat Weekend

You can read about our camping adventure last year here.

With two kids in tow this year, we opted to not stay over at the campground. I'm sure we could have swung it...but it would have been a lot of work for us. Not the relaxing kind of weekend we were looking for.

1) William runs a LOT. In a wide open campground, this is a little scary. You can't turn your back on him for longer than .5678513854 seconds because he has no [very little] fear. He also thinks he is one of the big kids and will follow them anywhere without checking to make sure THEY know he is with they (most of them are pretty good at helping out and keeping track of him WHEN they know he is there).

2)All Amelia wants to do is crawl on her hands and knees. She would practice 27 hours a day if she could. She does NOT want to be held and will twist, turn, wriggle, and general be a nuisance until you finally put her down. Sadly, she does not stay on a blanket anymore either. She makes a beeline for the edge of the blanket and then shoves as much grass/dirt/sticks/dirty objects into her mouth as she can fit. Because Mama is surely coming and will take it away.

So, we made a day out of it. I'm a little sad to not be part of the whole adventure, but I think we'll try again next year!
What a beautiful day! The temps were in the 80's with a little breeze - heavenly! We decided to take a different ferry this time out of Grafton, MO (creatively named The Grafton Ferry). In this picture, the ferry is approaching from a distance.
The ferry: small
William got out of his carseat and watched the boat from the window
Amelia's first boat ride! 9/12/09
Amelia and daddy on her first ferry ride. William was very entertained by the motorcycles behind John while we were waiting for the ferry. Although, I have no idea "What is the motorcycle saying now, Mama?" No idea. What would a motorcycle say besides "Brmmmmmmm!"?
William on the ferry with Mama. I finally got him out of the car, but I was WAY to nervous to let him get down and wander around. The sides of this ferry are waaaaaaaaaaayyy to open for my peace of mind!
Then, we let Amelia drive the car for awhile. John was too afraid to look...Amelia had a great time though! Look at her face!
Just kidding, but the steering wheel is fun to play with!
We met up with the rest of our church group at the apple orchard for some apple picking. Here are John and William waiting for the tractor to take us back to the apple trees. I was REALLY looking forward to this because it is fun. And, also Honey Crisp apples. Sadly, the cooler weather we enjoyed this summer mean the honey crisps aren't quite ready for picking yet. So, we had to make do with the Jonathan and Yellow Delicious. Still yummy!
This is called the pumkinator. It shoots pumpkins, I guess. John was disappointed we didn't get to see it in action. I reminded him we don't need to give our little boy any ideas....
William pickin' his apples - he enjoyed this so much more this year! No tantrums coming off the tractor this year!
Getting daddy's help for an apple up high...and winking at Mama is appears.
Showing me his apple (and watching the big kids run around like crazy)
Mama and Mia picking an apple together. She wanted this apple BADLY. I don't know what she wanted to do with the apple, but she was determined to have it in her hands. Hence, the not super cute picture of us.
I was impressed William wanted to eat the apple whole. Usually he is kind of picky about the peel and how it is cut up. I started the apple for him (actually, he stole the apple out of my hand after I started eating it)
So, I had to go and get a new apple. And hide it from Ms Mia and her brother Apple Stealer.
After he got an apple in his hands, William was pretty set to wander around and enjoy the day.
Still working on that apple
A BIG bite!
Waiting for the tractor to take us back to the farm. Still eating the apple while we waited for the tractor to take us back to the farm. I think he ate close to 75% of this apple (including part of the core when I wasn't looking) without any help from us.
After apple picking and admiring the animals for a little while, we packed up and went back to camp for some lunch. William wasn't interested in lunch. He was fascinated by this block/building set.
He happily played with this along with a couple other kids (they showed him how to get started) while I fed Amelia and then while John and I ate (we also tried to feed him, he just wasn't interested).
One of the best things? Having a lot of people around to hold Amelia/chase William so John and I can do luxurious things like eat a whole meal in one sitting. This is one of our favorite babysitters for William, Paige. We haven't actually left Amelia with a babysitter yet (with the exception of one time for a few hours while we attended a funeral). Which suddenly strikes me as crazy.
Here is Paige's brother Mitchell. I'm pretty sure he is teaching William how to shoot this gun at his sister.
William also got to play a little soccer with another big kid - thanks Josh! to run off some steam.


We haven't had any success in getting Amelia to take a bottle recently. Although, now I think we'll move straight to a water bottle. She LOVED this water bottle and cried when I took away from her. In my defense, my pants were entirely soaked (as were hers)because she wasn't actually drinking it, just drooling it everywhere. This makes me think we should skip the bottles and maybe start working on a sippy cup?
Here Zach and Mitchell are teaching William....big boy things I would guess. What is really means is that John and I got to eat another meal in one sitting. I would have to estimate my calorie consumption to somewhere around 879987938789674898 on Saturday due to all the helpful baby holders/toddler chasers. Maybe it is a good thing we don't usually have that much help?
William played with the dominoes/blocks again before we had to leave to catch the last ferry home again. I think he is going to need a set of dominoes for Christmas...

No comments: