background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Maternity Clothes make me Crabby

This is just a heads up for all of you lucky people who might be in the same room with me over Thanksgiving. Maternity clothes make me Crabby (with a capital C).

My specific issues include (but are not limited too):
-Bows. My belly is not a gift for you or anyone else. While I am thankful to be pregnant and for the child I am growing, I don't care to adorn any part of me with bows. Most certainly, I do not care to adorn the largest part of myself with a gigantic bow, regardless of color.
-Ruffles. I'm not 6 anymore. Enough said?
-Low cut-ness. I don't care to show a great deal of cleavage when I am not pregnant. Being pregnant has not changed this about me.
-The drape. Most of my maternity shirts have no shape. You are left wondering if I have a torso at all between my neck and my knees. While I don't need a form fitting shirt, I'd like to not have people eying me suspiciously: is she getting a beer belly or could she be pregnant?
-Elastic. While this is a necessary evil, it is not the most flattering of materials. Currently it is either way to small or way to big. Neither is a good look or comfortable. One has me too uncomfortable to get down on the floor and the other has me hanging onto my britches when I'm getting back up again.


All of these problems are compounded by several factors; not all of which are horomone driven:
1. When I was at this stage of pregnancy with William, I was roughly 20 pounds heavier. That means that most of the clothes I wore during this pregnancy are still too big for me at this point.

2. When I was pregnant with William, I was teaching full time. Teaching is a demanding job and I was on my feet all day. And hot. I had no more than 4 long sleeved shirts total because I was so hot while teaching all day (and the multiple layers I had to wear due to the cleavage problem, see above). Now that the weather is cooler and I sit at home eating bon-bons on my couch all day long, I'm finding myself wearing those same 4 oversized shirts over and over again.


So, in all fair warning to those of you spending more than several minutes with me over the holiday: watch out. Especially if I am wearing something other than sweatpants and sweatshirt. If I have gone through the trouble to put on something maternity related, you can bet that I will be working overtime to overcome the Crabbies.*

*I'm really so very excited to be able to spend the holidays with my family and some close friends. I just can't figure out how to deal with this wardrobe situation....

1 comment:

Tom and Robyn said...

I feel your pain! I've had the same problem, with the added issue of having a winter instead of summer pregnancy.

My recommendation is for someone who is spending the holidays with you (ahem, John) to make a trip to a maternity store with the initials MM and pick up the following:
1. Secret fit belly pants. They have a full panel, which I normally hate, but it's really thin and super-comfy. They still slip down, but not as bad.

2. Basic shirts that miraculously do not have v-necks. I didn't even know they existed until I saw them with my own eyes.