background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 6, 2008

20ish Week Appointment

We had our almost-20-week appointment this morning with our OB. Twenty weeks is somewhat significant because it does mark the halfway point of the pregnancy. She is happy with how we're doing and was even happier to hear that I am feeling lots of movement every day now. In fact, John was able to feel movement from the outside for the first time yesterday. This is about a month before he could feel anything with William, so we're all excited about that!

Everything continues to go well and there aren't any concerns on the doctors part. I had a largish weight gain this month which means the rest of the left over Halloween candy is now going with John to work. I have made it my mission to gain less weight with this one than with William's pregnancy. Although I was able to loose most of it, a 60 pound weight gain isn't pretty. Unfortunately, as with William's pregnancy, I have to some holidays make it through which will make it more challenging. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, our 7th anniversary, Valentine's Day and my 30th birthday all will happen before this baby is born - and there is a lot of food in there that I'm going to want to eat.

So, on to the theories about the gender of this baby.

My Theory & Rational

I am fairly certain this baby is a boy. Very early on, I didn't really have any "feelings" about the baby's gender. At roughly 15 weeks, I started "feeling" like this baby was a boy. Now for the logical explanation. Hah! I fooled you! What are you thinking? Logical and rational? Not words you would find to describe me ever! However, for the record, I felt very strongly that William was a boy when I was pregnant with him. I was sure of it. When the ultrasound revealed that he was a "he", I wasn't even really surprised. I just knew he was a boy.

I am fairly certain this baby is another boy and out of all my pregancies so far my track record is 100%. I've been right about the gender 100% of the time. So there.

My Interpretation of John's Theory & Rational

Now, I have to warn you that John is not writing this. This is totally, 100% my interpretation of what I think he thinks. So, it really isn't that accurate. But, you can keep reading if you don't have anything better to do.

I knew you would keep reading.

In general, John has learned not to argue with my intuitions about things, because I am right about things a lot of the time. Random things like which lane is faster on the highway, which neighbor is experiencing marriage problems, and what he actually wants to eat for dinner. Oh, and that William was a boy. So, John is mostly going along with my "feeling" that it is a boy even though there is no basis in fact or scientific proof either way. He has come a long way.

However, John has always wanted a daughter. And at the ultrasound, John spied something that gave him hope that Daddy's Little Girl might be coming. When the technician performing the ultrasound was looking at the baby's feet, he noticed that the second toe on the baby's foot was longer than the big toe. My second toe is also longer than my big toe. William's big toe is his longest as is John's (this was pointed out during the ultrasound we had during William's pregnancy). So, John has also entered a guess into the pool based on the length of toes. John is again, hoping for his Little Girl.

**I feel the need to include this disclaimer. We are thrilled to be pregnant and will be thankful and happy about a healthy baby of either gender. In fact, the gender of this baby was so unimportant to the big picture of things here, we didn't even bother to find out which flavor it is.**

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gained weight this last month too... only I'm not pregnant.

Congrats that everything is going so well!!! I really don't know how you made it through the ultrasound with OUT finding the gender out. I couldn't do it!!!

We were the same as you... any healthy baby was great, but it didn't really matter. I really wanted a daughter, Aaron wanted a son. We got a son. Either way Keiran would have been a protector and friends. If you do have a daughter I want to come over for a tea party and to paint nails. For some reason no one in my house wants to do that. Can't figure out why.

Tom and Robyn said...

It must be the time for weight gain. I packed on 8 lbs. in the month before my last appt. I think I'm good for close to 5 this time.

Good luck getting through all your festivities without exploding that baby out of your belly! I'm a bit concerned myself.

I would also like to point out that the word I am being asked to verify for my comment is "ropoopic." I like it.