background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

When will I learn? Rules, part 3

I stand corrected. Yesterday I stated then when William FINALLY falls asleep, he usually stays that way for at least an hour or so. Obviously, he heard me and today did not take a nap longer than 15 minutes between 8 and 4pm. These two brief intermissions in my day were most welcome...just as I got started cleaning up the kitchen, William awoke crying and utterly lonely (I guess). Today is the day I finally gave in and called the doctor's office.

I will start by saying I don't really think there is anything wrong with him. He did get two teeth in over the weekend, which I'm guessing is at least part of the problem. But, I don't have anything else to go with. He has no fever, no runny noise, no coughing or any other symptoms. But, we are now going on day (too many) of unhappiness and I can't figure it out. So, I called the nurse. I thought she was going to blow me off and tell me to just keep on trucking - this is life with a BABY after all. I was pleasantly surprised when she became quite thoughtful and asked me it he was spitting up more. Ummmm...more than what? I then explained that I was nursing all the stinking time as that was really the only thing calming him down (just call me a Dairy Queen - I'm sure my request for a tiara and my likeness in butter will be granted by the ADA shortly). We have gone from feeding 6 times a day to 8-9 feedings a day. He hasn't required this many feedings since he was just over a month old. So, of course he is spitting up a lot - at least 2 feedings worth every day on top of his regular fountain.

Turns out, when kids get teeth, they drool a lot. When they eat while teething, they swallow a lot more drool and this can upset the acidic balance of their stomach. We talked a little bit more and then she told me she would call back after talking with the doctor about the situation. She promised to call me back by the end of the day. So, like a responsible parent, I kept the cell phone glued to my side for the rest of the day. I checked my cell phone ever 3-5 minutes to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I called John twice to make sure the phone was working. Then, I turned the volume down when William FINALLY decided that he was exhuasted at 4:30. Unfortunately, I was exhausted also and I didn't hear the phone ring when the doctor called at 4:55. When I woke up at 5:15, the doctor's office was closed for the rest of the day....guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what they recommend.

Just to keep everyone straight, I am not complaining (okay, yes I am). Just because I spend most of my day parked on the couch nursing and the rest of the day wiping spit up off of various surfaces (couch, carpet, toys, William, me, etc) and doing laundry full of spit up doesn't mean I'm unhappy. Au contraire, my friends. I am very happy - I just wish my happy boy would come back to stay.

No comments: