background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, June 4, 2007

Poor John...

I am not the best wife. I admit it. Some days I don't even try very hard. Yesterday was one of those days. I usually pack John a lunch for the next day while we are making dinner. John will spend some time with William when he gets home and I work on dinner and his lunch. Last night, I opened the refrigerator and freezer and found myself uninspired. I managed a dinner of leftover sloppy joes and my creativity expired. Poor John ended up with a yogurt and some left over pasta from....a long time ago. I opened the container and inspected it carefully. Nothing was growing on it - so in the lunchbox it went with the yogurt. Then, I remembered the pasta was actually my leftovers. I ate most of my pasta one night awhile back and put the leftovers in the fridge for later. Later never came and today I sent my husband to work with a 100 calorie cup of yogurt and old, forgotten pasta that couldn't even be considered half of a serving. As I remembered this last night, I decided to take action: I zipped the lunchbox shut. Did I even consider giving him the amazing leftover pancakes he made on Sunday morning for us? Not on your life! They are mine (and were GREAT today at lunchtime)!


Today, I felt bad about this. The guilt followed me around the house. I cleaned up the kitchen today and felt bad as I arranged the cans in the pantry. I sterilized some bottles and decided to make a pasta salad to go with dinner to make up for the terrible lunch. As long as I was heating up the stove, I went ahead and in addition made three (3) different varieties of rice to put into individual containers so we wouldn't have a repeat performance of bad lunches. As I was making the rices in three (3) different pots as well as boiling bottles, I spies suggestions on the back of one of the boxes. "Add a cup of broccoli to the rice mixture..." I thought this was a brilliant idea. So, I divided a bag of broccoli between the pots on the stovetop. As I was doing this, I remembered the USDA recommendation to eat between twenty to fifty (20-50) servings of vegetables a day. Nothing but the best for my husband! I opened up a big bag of California style mixed vegetables to add as well. I'm sure not eating my vegetables, so someone has to step up. I am now relieved and worry free as I know my husband will be well nourished tomorrow at lunch. And for the next 10 days with the 10 individual containers now found in the refrigerator.

John assures me that he had plenty to eat and someone brought in food for everyone at lunch today. I'm not worried. If there is a wife judging contest tomorrow at lunch, John will definitely be in the running.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so.... John is the best wife?

=)