background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Rules have changed, Part 2

The rules and the framework of our day are still in limbo. Not the fun party game kind of limbo either. I try to write upbeat stories and leave the impression I am having a great time. Because I am. But, the last few weeks have been challenging. I still maintain standard rule #1 that we started with:

#1. Everything can go wrong and be crazy as long as the baby sleeps through the night. I will be happy as long as I get a full nights sleep.


William was kind enough to oblige us with this around the 6-7 week mark. A sigh of relief went through the crowd at that point. All two (2) of us. Yet, we still are struggling. Yesterday brought a melt down in the afternoon. I'll spare you the details, but I made adjustments today and thought we would give it a shot. No dice. In fact, the melt down today started 4 hours earlier. I am at a loss and crabby about it for one main reason: school is out. That means the other moms I work with are home and ready to play. Not us! The call sounds something like this:" When would be a good time for you on Thursday?" I pause and think for a moment and mull it over. " I don't have any idea..." is my honest reply. Here are the things I thought were set (otherwise known as rules)

1. The pacifier is always welcome and 98.56% of the time leads to sleep. NOW: The pacifier makes him angry. As he settles in, I think "Ooohh, if I just stick that in his mouth it will push him over the edge into sleep." Wrong. If you put it in his mouth, he will become Angry and not sleep. Ever. That is unless HE finds the pacifier on his own and puts in it his mouth. Then he is...sleeping.

2. Every 3-4 hours he will nap for at least 30 minutes. Sometimes up to 2 hours. NOW: He will nap only as a last resort. He is too busy (I think?) to slow down for a nap. The last three days it appears we are moving into a morning/afternoon nap routine. When he goes down, he sleeps for at least 2 hours. That is IF you can get him to go down to begin with. The battle continues.

3. Sitting on my lap and singing songs is fun! NOW: Singing songs and sitting with mommy is only fun if he is pulling my hair. Or kissing (read: drowning) me. He is happiest when he is doing both.

4. Riding in the car was a tolerable experience, given the car is always in motion. NOW: Being strapped into the carseat is worse than having to eat your vegetables. Crying and general ear splitting unhappiness will follow until he is 1) unbuckled or 2) someone climbs over the seat to entertain him. Option 2 may or may not work. Bring on the trip to ND in 2 weeks!

5. Waking up from a nap, getting a new diaper and then being fed is a recipe for the happiest baby ever. NOW: Even though all his basic need are met, fussing and complaining are common. We are left with looking at each other (John & I) and shrugging our shoulders.

I can't think of any of our other rules/not rules at the moment. But, I'll put them up if they come to me. I have plans to give a call to the dr's office if this continues for a few more days. I can't figure out what is going on (besides teeth) and would like ebola, TB, or ear infections ruled out before we travel.



The sweet baby sleeping today. Note the use of the pacifier. Note he is actually sleeping and I am actually in there taking pictures. Wise idea? Who knows? And the bear...a gift from one of my students this year. He loves the silky (?) interior fabric. I'm considering going out and seeing if I can find a few to keep in reserve in case this becomes an "important" toy. Even if the idea of a bear's head coming out of a blanket kind of freaks me out.


The feet. Definitely IN these days. In the mouth, in the hands, in the nose...etc.


William has can't get enough of the ball John got from our friends for his birthday. Although, it is frustrating because it keeps rolling away....WAH! He does have a surprising amount of control with it though. Scary! He might have coordination!


The teeth are tricky to get! At least on this one you can see that he is (finally) getting some eyebrows...

Two teethand lots of fingers!


Two teeth!

1 comment:

Tom and Robyn said...

Ah, so William IS a baby after all! Sorry to hear he (and you) are having a tough stretch. I do know it gets better and I'd love to be able to tell you when, but we're going on 10 months of the same things! I blame teeth. As soon as one comes in, I think we'll have a break, but the next one follows right after.

Oh, am I supposed to make you feel better? OK, um...on the sleep stuff: 'tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Also, the hair pulling eventually loses its novelty. In the meantime, ponytails are your best friend. How's that?

On a positive note, isn't it so cute when babies play with their feet?