background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Grant's Farm

Whew! I'm tired! Today, we met up with a bunch of crazy teachers who are enjoying their summer vacation at Grant's Farm. Grant's Farm is hard to explain, but it involves riding in golf carts, animals, no admission fee, a little bit of presidential history and free alcohol for the adults at the end of the trip (none was consumed today). The crazies (adults), took the kids out to see the animals and hang out together. There were 8 children there and 7 adults. 4 of the children are less than a year old! We had a great time. William loved (LOVED) watching the other kids running around and playing with each other. He would get super excited any time they went running by him. He had a huge smile on his face the whole time. Except when he got hot, tired and crabby. But, that didn't last long luckily. We both came home tired and without sunburn. A success in my book.

In other news, William continues to with the rice cereal. I am making it thicker a little bit each day. Somehow, I thought that would make things less messy. In fact, the opposite is true. I also seem to have stopped listening after the doctor told us when to start with the rice cereal. I remember her talking about moving to cereal twice a day and amounts of cereal as well. The conversation is coming back to me something like this:

"After you have established the cereal, you may want to add another feeding blah, blah, blah (please use the Charlie Brown adult voice here). These feeding should be in the amount of blah blah blah."

I have consulted the Meticulous Notebook that John had recorded all medical notes in from the time William's pregnancy was confirmed and it seems to have not made it into the notes at all. So, how am I to proceed? Do I call the nurse line like a nutter and take the nurse through the long, drawn out story with the end result: admitting that I don't listen? Or do I play it by ear and possibly ruin my child's future by not feeding him enough for his brain to properly develop or condemn him to a lifetime of being addicted to carbs by overfeeding him? Or could you mommys out there reading (I know there are at least 4 of you) drop me an e mail or comment with when you moved to feeding cereal two times a day. I know at some point he is supposed to be eating cereal twice a day. Please help! Also, how much am I supposed to be feeding him at one sitting? Currently, he is eating about 1 -2 tablespoons of cereal in 4 tablespoons of milk. I am clear (at this point anyway) about the fruits/veggies, etc. coming later. But, I'm so confused about this cereal thing. Thank you in advance for your advice.

The last, and maybe biggest news of the day is that I cam in this morning to find William on his hands and knees on the living room floor. The important part here is that HE got that way by himself. He kind of just looked at me and then put his head back down on the ground. I was so shocked that I just kind of stood there. As I stood there with his mouth open, William turned around and scooted himself around (YES!!! I said he SCOOTED HIMSELF!!) across the floor towards another pile of toys. Mouth...still...open... So, crawling is coming. Faster than I thought, but coming. I tried for the rest of the afternoon to catch him scooting on video. All I got was a bunch of funny faces of William staring at the camera and trying to grab it. we'll keep trying tomorrow.


All the kiddos at Grant's Fa(L-R) William, Connor, Matthew, Darcy, MacKenzie, Nathan, Caroline, Katelyn


Riding on the golf cart tram! Liz and Laura help with baby duty (Connor and Matthew)


Everyone (almost) riding on the tram (please note: the tram was NOT in motion AND my hands, feet and head were all inside of the vehicle...at all times)


Kim, Katelyn and Caroline


Ulysses S Grant's cabin. Or something...


My favorite picture of the day. William was being crabby and "Auntie" Laura was able to turn this around for us. He LOVES those sunglasses (who wouldn't?)

1 comment:

Tom and Robyn said...

We took the solids pretty slowly. I checked my "Jacob food calendar," and we started doing cereal twice a day after a month of cereal. I gave him a week of each of the various cereals, and then fed them to him kind of randomly. Sometimes I mixed them together too, just to make it more interesting.

As for amounts, all I remember is that I started with 1-2 tablespoons of cereal, and if he still seemed hungry, I made a little more. It's not an exact science. He'll let you know if he's still hungry or finished eating. I felt the same way you did, wondering how much to feed him, and the only answer I got was "Don't worry, just make sure he fills up on breast milk." Helpful, right?