background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Ish-Da (pronouce with heavy Norweigen accent)

Ish-Da*. Who SAYS that? My mom, my grandma, and great grandma....and now, so do I. Apparently, when you see your son standing in front of the toilet with his mouth open to chew on the seat, a switch turns on in your head and the words come out of your mouth. The switch stays permanently on. Just warning you.

* I don't know the precise meaning of ishda or where it technically comes from. Or even if it is technically a word anywhere. But, my Norwegian descent female family members use it to express disgust or general grossness of situations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny. I am from MN and EVERYBODY says Uff Da. Most people are of Scadinavian decent, so that may explain it. My Swedish Great Grandma used it in place of swear words like the time she dropped an ovenmit in the oven and it started on fire. I use it when I lift something heavy. Or when my son also does things like chew on the toilet seat :)

My husband makes fun of me and I have never known anyone outside of MN that uses it or any variation. I have no idea what it really means, but I use it all the time!

Nicole
(Friend of Tyler and Emmy)