background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 26, 2009

William 2.5

William 2.5 the newer, faster, crabbier version of William

It is so amazing and crazy at the same time to think about my baby boy being 2 1/2 years old. My sweet, sweet boy is getting to be so big and grown up!
It seems like everywhere you are going these days is at top speed running. You love to go fast!
Running....weeeeee!


Except when you don't feel like it...then getting you to move is like cheering on a turtle. I wouldn't mind, but the story time crowd doesn't wait for anyone.

William, you are such a special boy to us. You make us want to laugh (and sometimes cry) with your antics hundreds of times a day. You are curious, helpful, outgoing and stubborn. The last bit though was inevitable between your daddy and me. I am pretty sure you got most of it from him, although he'll tell you differently. I'll never admit you got it all from me. In short, I think you are amazing. Which is something you now say everyday, all the time "That's amazing".
You are growing so much and learning new things everyday. You pick up new phrases on a daily basis and incorporate them into your conversations. "That's amazing", "I love you, Mama/Daddy", and "Oh my gosh!" are all things you've picked up in the last few weeks. Your need and desire to understand the world around you has led you to constantly ask questions. I understand this is typical, but answering the same question one thousand times a day gets pretty old. For example:
William (buckled into his car seat): Going, Mama?
Mama (driving): To the grocery store to get some food! Yay!
[pause]
William: Going, Mama?
Mama (driving): To the grocery store to get some food!
[pause]
William: Going, Mama?
Mama (driving): To the grocery store to get some food!
[pause]
William: Going, Mama?
Mama (driving): To the grocery store to get some food!
[pause]
William: Going, Mama?
Mama (driving): To the grocery store!
[pause]
William: Going, Mama?
Mama (driving): To the zoo.
[pause]
William (with smile on his face): NO! To the grocery store to get some food!
[pause]
William: Going, Mama?
Mama: Turns the radio up before her head explodes (please note: the voice in the backseat continues)


Unfortunately, the questions aren't limited to the car rides. They are a constant, ever present part of our day together. It is a good thing I love you. A whole lot. Because I'm not sure how many times I could explain to you about matching up the socks or washing the dishes otherwise.

Your new found vocabulary can also make it a lot of fun to hang out with you. You read me the books using the pictures to tell stories - which is way more entertaining than just reading you it as written. You are curious about the world around you and ask hundreds of questions about everything you see and touch. You like to be right in on the action, in the middle of everything from sorting laundry to putting gas in the car. However, you aren't quite there with being able to tell us what is always on your mind. This is a problem because it leads to multiple meltdowns several times a day. You aren't always sure what you want, but you ARE sure you want to have a say. We're working on it and I think we've made some progress.
Exhibit A: I WANT TO USE THE CAMERA! IT IS MY TURN!
Exhibit B: If I can't use the camera, I'm not going to look at you and smile.Exhibit C: I don't like this camera thing if I can't hold it.
Exhibit D: IT'S MY TURN!!!!! LET ME PUSH THE BUTTONS!!!!

You continue to be heart melting sweet to your baby sister most of the time. You kiss her good morning/good night and bring her toys and books to look at when she cries. You touch her very gently and love to help me hold her and give her baths (right now you help her splash in the water and watch me wash her). You can make her laugh like no one else can by just giving her the hint of a smile. You brighten her day in just a fraction of a second with your beautiful smile and infectious laugh. You don't always like to share with her and have trouble understanding why certain toys are off limits to you, but you're learning.
You are so silly. You love to do silly things to make us laugh. And we love it too. Well, the first and second time anyways - the next 546876516846981681 times are always entertaining. You also love to do things by yourself from putting on your shoes to putting clothes in the washer. You still don't understand why you aren't allowed to drive the car or mow the lawn and we have meltdowns about one or the other roughly once a week.


You continue to adore all vehicles. Basically anything with wheels is awesome in your book. You've even taken to correcting me when we are out and about and we see a vehicle ("Not a digger Mama. Excavator.")
A happy birthday cupcake seemed appropriate

We happened to have cupcakes leftover...so I bribed you into eating broccoli in exchange for one of these. I still can't believe you ate it. By yourself.
Yummm.....A boy with his 1/2 birthday cupcake
Daddy and Amelia watch...daddy isn't sure he is happy about having another sweet tooth in the house....
You were pretty happy to tell me baby sister is "too little to eat cupcakes"
Happy baby sister

1 comment:

Tom and Robyn said...

What a great tribute to your little (big) guy! They do grow up so fast.

I'm working on a post similar to this for Jacob's 3rd birthday (yikes) and it comes and goes as he warms my heart one minute and frays my nerves the next. :)