background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Heidt Family Hulabaloo

Last year in December, we decided it would be fun to get together with all of John's immediate family at our house. A few of them haven't ever been to our house and they've never all been at the same time! We had a wonderful weekend! I was so worried about a few key things that turned out to not be a problem at all! Yay!

  • #1 biggest worry was the weather! We were hosting everyone at our house with the exception of John's sister, so we had 11 people sleeping at our house for 2 nights. I was so worried that with so many bodies/showers/etc that our house would become unbearably hot and our air conditioner would be able to catch up. Everyone would be crabby and not want to come back because of the heat. I can't tell you how much sleep I lost over this one. Reality: we had record setting low temperatures over the weekend! With the highs in the upper 70's we didn't even turn on our air! Unbelievable! The only problem is now no one will believe us when we talk about how hot it gets in the summer!
  • #2 biggest worry was food! I've never feed 12 people for 2 days before, so I was so worried I would forget something essential for other people (like coffee) or run out and people would be crabby and not come back to visit ever again. Reality: We made a big meal on Friday night and I actually had leftovers! Hurray! As far as I know, we didn't run out of anything essential. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if anyone doesn't come back to see us again for a long time - then I'll know!
  • #3 big worry was kids playing together. Two year olds are not known for being good at playing nicely or sharing. I was worried about how it would all go down with the introduction of 3 new big kids. Reality: William was so in love with his cousins and playing with the big kids, he wouldn't have noticed if there weren't any toys at all.
So, here are the pictures, although I'm disappointed that I didn't get a few of the key shots on my list. We were so busy! I'll have to try and grab these pictures the next time we see people, although Amelia will be bigger in the pictures, which makes me a little sad.

Grandpa Heidt was able to arrive on Thursday. Here he is multitasking away....

Friday we took Grandpa to the Transportation Museum while Daddy went to get a little work done. Grandpa's job was to chase William while I navigated the stroller.

Grandpa and William peeking out of the train window

Grandpa and William both really enjoy trains. So, it was fun to watch them enjoy each other and the trains so much. I was just along for the ride and to take pictures of things that caught my eye. Trains just aren't my thing. Although, most of those pictures didn't really turn out because I was either trying to keep the stroller in motion of holding the baby on my hip.Amelia is more my speed - playing in her stroller


I like the lettering and colors in the sign. But, I can't tell you anything more about it.

Grandpa and William admire the trains.

Look! It rhymes: C, B, Q 1582....Big black thing for gasoline




William expertly manning the train controls...
Cutie peeking out the window.
William working at the controls
Admiring all the different levers and controls. A rare pause in the constant activity.
William likes to drive!

Amelia with the Amelia Earhart LN sign
My grandparents used to live in Decatur, IL.
PS: This train has a cushion underframe

Rusty coily thing

Mama and William in front of the Burlington Route engine


Friday evening, John's sister (Cathy), brother (Jim) and brother's family arrived in time for dinner. Amelia liked meeting her Uncle Jim. You can tell by her devilish grin. Or maybe it is because the camera red eye setting isn't working right.
Amelia also got to meet her Aunt Kendra for the first time! I'm sad we didn't get ANY pictures of her with her cousins! Gah! What were we thinking?The kids playing in the playroomkids


On Saturday, we decided to take everyone to Grant's Farm. Grant's Farm is the kind of place that has something for everyone: history, animals, trains, and adult beverages.Grandpa with William and Uncle Jim with cousin Mike


Amelia happily riding in her stroller (and bundled up - it was COLD!)


Jim, Kendra & Mike (where are their other 2 kids? We don't have ANY pictures of them! Gah!)

Our family in the animal park (aren't we cute?)


Saturday night I was on a mission to eat outside and enjoy the AMAZING weather so we ate at Magpie's on Main Street St Charles. All of a sudden it was Sunday morning and everyone had to leave! It was so sad - I've learned that I LOVE having a houseful of people! It was so much fun getting up every morning with everyone together. It was so touching and sweet to see the cousins play together (always makes me a little emotional!) as well as introduce our Amelia Ann to everyone. I was so sad having everyone leave and I felt surprisngly rejuvenated after a very busy weekend. I can't wait to do it again!

No comments: