background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I'm so funny

You all out there may not know this about me: I am super funny. Maybe one of the funniest people I know. Every year, I tell my students this on the first day of school. I tell them how lucky they are to have me as a teacher because I am the funniest person ever. Ever. Every year at least one of my students challenges this statement within a week of making it. "You know, you really aren't that funny. At all."

Several others softly chime "Yeah, you aren't really". I don't care because I know they are just jealous. It isn't possible that I'm not funny. It never has mattered what they thought. I think I am funny. Therefore I am. And I do crack myself up with my atmosphere and outer space jokes (have you heard the one about Uranus? No? Well, let me tell you...)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Earlier this week I was at the Y when I ran into a few students of mine from last year. I was hot and sweaty and holding William. William threw his body at one of the girls. With a squeal that could only be made by a 14 year old girl, she opened her arms and took him. I silently said a prayer and tried to look relaxed while interrogating my other former students about their summer reading lists, high school class registrations (did you get the Advanced courses? Good. What about taking two foreign languages? No? Why not?), and other enrichment activities. I also like to get the dish about the other kids in my classes, although I try to look disinterested in this - like I would rather be at home wearing my lab coat and goggles. During this time, William was occupying himself by trying to pull the hair of my other student and pat her overly made up eyes. There came a lull in the conversation and William looked down at his hand pulling her hair and giggled with glee. One of the students laughed at him and said "He thinks he is pretty funny."

The other student replied "He must take after his mother..."

Everyone laughs, the girls elbow each other at their joke at my expense. I can't help but think William is the luckiest kid ever. Do you want to know why? I'm the funniest person ever - and my students remembered that almost a year later (Please God, let them have remembered something else also...)

I'm going to miss having all my kids next year. I already miss them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The big news of the day (excluding the termite inspection finding no termites) is that I think we may have found a peas solution (HAH! Peace solution). Whirled peas (say it out loud people) with sweet potatoes. This kid loves sweet potatoes. He ate ALL of his peas tonight without any crying. I didn't have to sing about Old McDonald planting his corn or soy beans. I am amazed and happy. He might be able to eat vegetables like his daddy after all.

No comments: