background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, April 24, 2009

Stubborn? Big Boy?

William is probably an average 2 year old boy. He is forever exploring physically and verbally with a tireless energy that wears us out. He is also testing his boundaries constantly. I'm not sure if it the heavy load of developmental psychology that I took or my regular does of "Patience Potion", but the majority of the time I find his antics hilarious.

On Saturday (4/11), he was crabbing about something I was asking him to do. Like sit down so we could read the book he had picked out or lay down so I could change his poopy diaper. Something terribly difficult along those lines. When the crabbing started turning into all out tantrum, I told William to come and give me a hug. My thinking was maybe he hasn't been getting enough attention around here lately and maybe he needed a little love.

With a very serious face, William replied "I don't like hugs."

I almost laughed out loud! It was too funny! Because I know that he does like hugs and he loves me...and it is a very two year old thing to say. Since then, we've heard the "I don't like...." about 219382673687369284298 times a day about everything under the sun. He doesn't like eating or riding in his car seat. He doesn't like wearing shoes or not wearing shoes. He doesn't like baths or bedtime or waking up time. There really isn't much he likes - really, everyone should feel pretty sorry for him. It is a rough life being 2.


Anyway. On Saturday, April 11th (or so my photo files tell me), William decided It Was Time. Nevermind we had other plans or other Things to Do. It Was Time for him to learn to put on his shoes by himself. And it wasn't pretty. This boy is stubborn (gee...where do you think he got that?).

These are the only shoes he can actually get on by himself becasue the foot hole is huge and there is only 1 velcro strap for him to unfasten (and keep track of). Note: wrong feet, proud face.

Very determinded little boy. Lots of tears were shed and several tantrums over this issue. It just isn't fair that he couldn't do it himself! For the record, I have nothing against him putting on his own shoes. In fact, HURRAY! Put on you own shoes so I don't have to bend over and do it. But, the fact is, he just CANNOT quite do it himself and is VERY unhappy about this. He would keep trying and trying and trying and trying and trying and trying and trying and was just so very frustrated with himself and us.
At the end of the day, I confess I put his shoes out of reach/sight for awhile. Although I find his behavior enertaining as well as endearing, there isn't any reason why we need to live through that again on so few hours of sleep. We'll save that one for another day when the sleep is more and therefore patience is more plentiful!

No comments: