background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Scrambling

We're making lists and checking and rechecking and rechecking again. We're getting our craft on and biting off more than we can chew. But! Things are getting done and we're leaving town in a few days. Then, Christmas will officially be started! In honor of this, here is my top favorite things about this time of year:


1. The holiday cards: I know they are cheesy, but I love getting real mail! Even better when it is from people I really like and care about. I love the pictures, the updates, and keeping up with what is going on with everyone's lives. So! If you haven't sent me one yet, get up! You have work to do!

2. Full houses: I love the chaos of too many people in one house. The noise, the constant activity. Somewhere in this house, something is always happening. The comings and goings the games and inevitable missing items. The jokes, the hugs, the sleepy breakfasts with too little sleep. This has always been my favorite part of Christmas. With a 2 year old who needs to nap, I'm finally getting to see why it is better to have a little bit of space for everyone. But, in all honesty I can't think of anything more fun than camping out all night long under the Christmas tree with 15 family members and waiting for Santa. As long as there are cookies.

3. Cookies! For the first time in weeks we don't have treats sitting out on our counter from a party or event that we are attending. The only reason for the lack of treats is that we are leaving in 2-3 days and won't be home for awhile (unless you are looking to break into my house. Then you should know my neighbors with the big, mean, biting dog will be staying here on and off while family is visiting.). No word on the gestational diabetes testing that was done last week. In just a few short days I will consider myself clear, results or not for the holidays!

4. Traditions: I love the traditions that my family works to keep alive: we all have matching stockings. We drive to North Dakota nearly every year to be with family (in 29 Christmases, I've only NOT been in North Dakota 4 years, all of which have occurred after we got married - it is called compromise. The weather has never kept us away) We celebrate Christmas Eve with my mom's parents and Christmas Day with my dad's parents. We attend the candlelight service on Christmas Eve. The new ornaments every year (note: get on this for our kids soon) which all add up to a huge collections of ornaments and stories. The yearly pictures in front of the tree.

5. New this year: Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash. It is bubbly. It is red. It tastes yummy - and it looks great in a wine glass! I'll be drinking me plenty this holiday season as no wine is allowed. Don't let the 7-Up Pomegranate Version sway you. It isn't as good.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Sounds like a nice holiday to me!!! I need to get some holiday going at our house. I am going to try your sierra mist cranberry splash... sounds nummy :)