background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Battle Royal Takes Time out for Hugs

A few big things have gone down this week at our house. While I don't find either particularly interesting, some of you have been known to e mail, call or write to harass me about the lack of William in your lives. So, here are my big things: 2 year molars gettin' my craft on and appetites.

If you were to run into us any time in the last week or so, you would notice William's mouth is looking a little funny with the drool and as many fingers as possible shoved into it. As promised, at least 3 out of the 4 two year molars are making their appearance and have broken through. The fourth one is a wild card because I can't get my finger angled back to that corner with the possibility of losing the rest of my finger while I'm in there. The teething has brought out the ornary in our dear child and the ordinary things are now a challenge. Tantrums and crying are common in both the adult and child popluation of this house on a daily basis. Challenging would be a good word, but I don't think it begins to touch the true nature of our days currently. Keeping the flow of pain relievers a-going and frozen object to suck on appears to be our best battle plan. An example from the last week:

William and I were supposed to meet someone at a neighboorhood play area to...play. I got us both ready (expending crazy amounts of energy) and out to the car. William now insists on walking himself out to the car and opening the door himself. Usually we plod our way through the walking and I am able to efficiently buckle him in and be on our way. Wednesday he was not having any of it. There was kicking and screaming and thrashing of limbs. What generally takes me a maximum of 2 minutes ended up taking close to 15. Lucky for me, after battling it out, a big delivery truck drove by our house and distracted him long enough I could buckle a few of the buckles - which makes it nearly impossible for him to move (or resist further if you prefer). After the truck passed, William stopped to watch me trying to untwist and buckle faster than the speed of light and patted my arm. "Hugs?" he requested.

Speechless and stunned it took me a minute to process what he wanted. So we hugged. Both of us were sweaty and tired from the battle of the carseat. So I hugged him a little more and went to finish buckling him in. "Hugs more" was his next request. So, even though we were already beyond late, we hugged some more....and our battle was [almost] forgotten.

One of my best friends from high school is having her first baby and I've been horomonal enough to decide to hand make each and every piece of her gift. The craftiness at this house of the last week has been very impressive. I wish I could show you what I'm making, but I can't because her presents need to be a surprise! Make I'll take pictures and post after her shower next weekend. Oh! And we'll be in Rochester next weekend!

Last Friday we went out to eat with our friend from Seattle to a Chinese restaurant. It was a lovely place and I was smart enough to print out a menu before we left so I would have ample time to plan a strategy for feeding William and myself. Still, it wasn't surprising that I really didn't want any of the choices there when it was time to order. However, my food came and shockingly I ate all of it. And some of John's. And then a little taste of William's. I would even go so far as to say my apetite is slowly returning. Although I'm still having some aversions and problems with smell...neither of which I care to discuss here!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

How sweet is William!!!! I know how hard the carseat struggles are... I once spent 20 minutes in the Ikea parking lot trying to get Keiran in (he was about William's age) while a woman was waiting to get our spot sat LAUGHING... LAUGHING AT ME!!!!!!! The nerve.

We are going to be in MN next weekend too! I am taking the boys up on Thursday and leaving them with Grammy and Poppa so I can meet Aaron in Milwaukee for a wedding. Then I will be back in MN until Wed or Tues with the boys. I am ready for some crisp MN autum weather!! I hope you have a fun trip!