background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Night-Night....

Today William and I drove through the remnants of hurricane Gustav (honestly, it sounds cooler than it was, I promise) to pick up a piece of flooring we need to bridge the doorway between the playroom and the family room in the basement. Rain was pouring down and it there were a lot of puddles on the road. I was driving and didn't notice that William had fallen asleep in the backseat of the car. He couldn't have been sleeping for more than ten or fifteen minutes as we weren't in the car for that long. It probably wasn't the greatest way to wake up (cold rain falling on you), but what can you do?

I ran him hard before lunch and put him down for his nap as our usual routine goes and close to 45 minutes later he was still crying. First playing, then whining, then complaining, then crying which quickly morphed into the hysterical abandoned child alone in his room. When I went to get him he had a messy diaper and I changed him up. However, I could tell that there wasn't any way he was getting back in that crib for another try at a nap. So, we rested together on the couch for about .000342768 seconds until he was up and ready to play again. All was going [somewhat] well considering the conditions until dinner time. He was sooooooooooooo hungry, he couldn't get the food in fast enough. I wasn't paying very close attention because I was trying to shovel bites of my own dinner into my mouth between cutting up more food and reloading William's tray when John started laughing. I looked up to find this:


A tired boy*
It is hard to believe, but we left him there like this and he woke up only to comment on the dog next door barking outside and to shove a few more pears into his mouth. He chewed with his eyes shut. I was able to wipe off his tray, both his hands and his face and he stayed asleep. It was only when I tried to unbuckle him that he woke up.


In other total cuteness, William has been saying "nigh-nigh" to us for several months now before he goes to bed (when prompted - no prompting, no cute goodnight). However in the last week he has stopped "nigh-nigh"ing us when prompted and instead tells one of his favorite toys goodnight instead. Tonight, for example:

Me: Say good night to daddy
W: Bye bye choo-choos
Me: You're right, goodnight choo choo trains. Now, say good night to daddy.
W: Bye bye color crayons
Me: Okay, whatever 'night crayons. Now, say good night to daddy.
W: Nigh-nigh box

And here is where I gave up and took him into his room to finish the bedtime routine. Afterall, he does have a lot of toys to potentially say goodnight to. After I put him down and did a few chores, I walked past his room one night this week to hear a very sleepy "Bye bye cars..."

Still waitin' on that nigh night for daddy though.

*Note: William had been sitting in a booster seat with us at the table, which we all loved. However because of the construction of our kitchen table, there was a small rim on the underside of the table perfect for pushing little feet against. William was constantly leaning back in his chair AND tipping himself over during meal time. The battle was not going to be won at this stage of negotiations (there is very little negotiating as of yet) and so it was back to the high chair for now.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Sounds just like my day today, only I took Tristan to Michaels while Keiran was at school. The nap went EXACTLY the same way... we'll see how dinner goes.

Ahh... the tipping. Tristan tries it too. Aaron and I take turns keeping out feet on his chair.

That William is such a hoot!