background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, October 15, 2007

Tired. So tired.

Sometime over the course of the last two weeks, our beautiful baby boy has been transformed into a striped, beady eyed monster that arrives somewhere between 2 and 3 am. This monster is screaming and crying and oh so far away from my warm bed. That is right. William has stopped sleeping through the night. He had been consistently sleeping from 9pm until 7 am give of take an hour since he was roughly 9 weeks old. I thought the cycle was broken on Saturday night when he slept solid from 9pm through 7 am. But no. Last night he was up at 12, 2:30, 5:30, and 6:30. This was the worst night by far for sleep, but last week featured many wake up calls as well. The naps are also hit or miss during the daytime. This oasis of sleep is something I start planning and dreaming about as soon as he wakes up on a day like today. But, then, on a day like today, there weren't naps to be found. As far as I can tell, this could be for several reasons that should become clear as soon as he starts sleeping again:

1) He is teething. Evidence: fingers, hands, all objects are constantly in his mouth. More so than usual (which is a lot).

2) He is learning a new gross motor skill :standing/walking. Evidence: He is able to stand on his own with holding on to other objects for short periods of time UNLESS he realizes that he isn't hanging on to something. He is doing a lot of cruising and funny little handstands on the floor. He is no longer afraid when his push toy moves and delights in walking with it across the room to ram it into the bookcase, couch or unsuspecting parent.

3) He is going through a growth spurt. Evidence: some of his 12 month clothing appears to be too short. I'm not sure how well we are keeping up with his nuitritional needs as he is in constant motion during awake time throughout day. Even growing a teeny, tiny bit could require the gallons of extra milk he is now consuming during the wee hours of the night.

4) He is going through the jerk baby phase. Evidence: I think he giggled last night when I tripped into his room at 3am. Or maybe I just need a little more sleep.


Did you know John's car smokes? Neither did we.


Hiking yesterday. Near the end of the hike, I showed off my ungracefulness by doing a full face plant onto a rock bed. No blood, huge bruise on my knee. If you are lucky, I might take a picture to post here.


John and William read books while I ice my knee on the couch.


William does squats as part of his daily exercise routine.

The promised Lizapalooza picture

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh. I feel your pain. Colds and babies are the WORST! I think it must be going around. Tristan had his 4 month check up and he had a SUPER bad cold. Turns out he had an ear infection. He also had been sleeping through the night and now FORGET IT!!! He's been waking up TWICE a night. Poor guys!

I hope William gets back to his old self soon!!!
Nicole