background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, November 9, 2009

Yes, they are related

Lunch is killing me around here. Actually, full days are killing me around here. I'm hoping this is a short lived phase, but I can see there are at least two things at play here:

1. William is working to give up his nap. I am fighting this because I need this time during the day for my sanity. Seriously. I enjoy his earlier bedtime (7:15!!) when he doesn't nap, but the nap is something I think both of us still benefit from. So, at this point, he goes down for a "rest"* everyday for at least an hour. So, he is...crabbier than usual these days.

2. William is figuring out there are things he can do by himself now and is extremely frustrated that we don't allow him to do EVERYTHING for himself. He is so proud when he does something like put all of his own clothes on, goes potty by himself, opens and shuts door, puts on his shoes, buckles the top portion of his seatbelt, puts away laundry, puts away silverware, and other chores around the house. Yet, we still don't allow him to cook with the stove, drive the car, walk in a parking lot by himself, or cut things with knives. I'm sure you'll agree that we are being completely unfair with this one.

So, we have a Mr. Independent who could really use a nap on our hands.


Lunch time is the worst. He is hungry, tired and...well, just that is enough. He is unhappy about not having my undivided attention, but I can't resolve the hungry part of the equation unless I make lunch. Quite the conundrum. So, I've taken to having him pull up a stool and watch what is going on while I talk to him and ask him questions. I throw silly questions in there to drag out what essentially could be a two minute conversation because he seriously has the same lunch every day (PBJ, banana, yogurt, carrot, milk).

Today before lunch:

Mama: I'm making you and sandwich. What kind of sandwich do you think you want?
William: Ummmmm...
Mama: Do you want a jelly and leaves sandwich?
W: NO!
M: Do you want a peanut butter and fingernail sandwich?
W: NO!
M: Do you want a color crayon and dinosaur sandwich**?
W: NO!
M: Do you want and peanut butter and lady bug sandwich?
W: NO! I don't like peanut butter!
M:?!!!???!?!?!?!?!?!?

Ummm...this kid loves peanut butter, so this was totally NOT the response I was looking for. I had to actually stop what I was doing and think about what he said because it was so unexpected (I know, this story is riveting, but this is how my days are. Jealous?) Suddenly I was overcome with deja vu as I remembered a similar conversation with his father a few years ago.....


John and I were at a housewarming party for a friend. We had just told a few people we were expecting a baby (who would be William). We didn't really have any name possibilities on the horizon, which was the subject of discussion between the small group of friends who did know. As another group of friends came into the party, the spouse of a friend shouted across the room "I'VE SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM! I'VE NARROWED THE BABY NAMES DOWN TO HARLEY OR HILLARY!"***

Without hesitation, John turned to me and said "Well, it's definitely not Hillary."


I think my mouth hung open for about a full minute before I had any type of coherent response. I turned to John and asked "So, regardless of gender, you are going to name our offspring Harley?"

Both men in my life are able to leave me completely speechless. It isn't an easy task to do.


*Although, when he doesn't sleep it isn't very restful for me. Between the crashes, clunks, and bangs that come from his room between "I HAVE TO GO POTTY!!!" announcements, I don't rest much.

**If you are going to try this tactic, I suggest you use care with your options or you could be stuck trying to figure out how to make a "racetrack and garbage truck" sandwich for lunch.
***And yes, this is how most of our friends here found out we were expecting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no.... I dislike it when they give up the nap. Henry did at age 2 (Bailey didn't until age 5! Yippee!), although he had "quiet time" until Maisy was born. Haven't quite figured out how to get that hour of "quiet time" in the day anymore with homeschool in full swing. His quiet time was far from quiet, I will tell you. Henry is not a quiet child. But, it was a time when Bailey and I could at least ignore the loudness of Henry in his room and try to read or do something on our own. Now, the only quiet time I have is after the kids are in bed so I guess that's why I am staying up so late lately. It is bliss and freedom for a few hours. I honestly feel like all day I'm running on a treadmill juggling chores, school, feeding people, playing, standing outside with the dog, smiling at the baby and putting her down for her naps, errands, laundry!.... and on and on and on. Keep me posted on the nap times, and hope he gets less crabby. That was always a struggle when Henry gave up the nap, he was downright ornery at dinnertime everyday.

Love,
Andrea