background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 21, 2009

More Paint

We started taping our room for the second color of paint to create the striped effect described in Nicole's plan for our room. The actual taping of the lines was.....painful. I think we ended up with 7 stripes 12 inches in width on our walls. I am positive we spent at least 20+ hours just putting the tape up. The painting was a walk in the park comparatively. So, here is the tape:


Nice, bright green tape. Please note: these are not correct color as it is night time with a flash on. So, this color is not showing true.


The main problem with the taping is our ceiling. We have vaulted ceilings in our room and in the lowest area, the ceiling is not level. This is a problem because it is closest to eye level at not supposed to be a diagonal line. So, getting the stripes to match up at all was a major issue. It required two laser levels, two regular levels and a lot of gnashing of teeth. We would get a level line going all the way around the room and then.....the lines wouldn't match up by the time we got to the other side of the room. So frustrating! After about 8+ hours of trying to make it work without success, we had to rent an industrial laser level and tripod deal in order to get our lines to match up on either sides of the room. After we brought laser level home that could do the whole room at one time (for the four hour rental period), we were able to get 2-3 lines marked pretty quickly before we had to return it. Without the laser level, we were left to use the lines we created and an old fashioned pencil/ruler combination to mark and tape the rest of the lines.


Last night we finally got to the painting portion and here are the results. We can't put furniture back, etc because we still have some touching up to do, but there were a few people who needed to see pictures...
It is so drastically different from what we had before (I'll post pics of before eventually) I think it will take some getting used to. But, I'm pretty sure I'm happy! Happy enough to send a little love to Nicole in Chicago today via snail mail!


Close up reveals some touch ups needed

3 comments:

Nicole said...

OMG! IT LOOKS AMAZING!!! You and John did such a nice job!!!!!!!!! I am very impressed :) Your hard work really paid off!!!!! I am super excited for you!!!!!

Tom and Robyn said...

I love it! And I feel you on the striping process. We did stripes in our nursery a few years back, and I wasn't sure our marriage would survive.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I like I like!!! I did stripes in the boys room, but only two stripes and a color above the ledge and a color below. I used the pencil, ruler, marking method beacuse I used the ledge as a guide. Unfortunately, taping in their room didn't work out too well because they have majorly bumpy textured walls. I ended up straightening out all my lines with a fine art brush. ARGH! At least I only had a few stripes. I did not even know there was such a thing as what you rented to get the job done. Cool!


Andrea