background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The 1 Week Post-Pins Post

Today we have a guest blogger!

I went to my first physical therapy appointment today since the day the pins were removed a week ago. Basically, they check two different positions for my hand. Whether I can straighten all the fingers out, and what the fingers look like when I make a fist. Apparently, I'm doing exceptionally well. The therapist was really surprised how well the joint (left ring finger, joint closest to the fingernail) was functioning. In fact she thought I was doing so well, that she canceled all my following therapy appointments until after I have my next check-up with the doctor (one month after the pins were removed). An interesting part of my appointment was she put my hand under some heating pads for about 15 minutes, and after that I was able to bend that joint another 10 or so degrees. She expects that when we get the go ahead to do some more rigorous stretching on the finger (actually pushing on the tip - right now it's still sensitive) that I'll probably return to a normal range of motion.

A fist one week after the pins were removed. You can see the ring finger is still peeking out from the other ones.

Bending the joint the best I could (1/28/09 - day after pins removed). The skin is REALLY dry/weird on this hand after wearing the protective splint for the last month and not being able to wash it.

Bending the joint today (02/03/09). Sorry that the angle is different.

Shot of my hand. The scabs are mostly all off. That scar on the middle finger is a little more pink than it has been since I've started scar massage as part of my home therapy. I've noticed the skin there getting looser, and more like what my other fingers are like. The middle finger also has some bumps and sensitive spots on it still. I don't know what is going to happen with the nail on the ring finger.

Kelly also asked me to talk about how they were able to get my ring off in the ER in Iowa without cutting it. Well, to be honest I didn't really think about the ring on my finger until the orthopedic doctor who was coming in to look at my finger and determine whether amputation was necessary mentioned taking off the ring. Of course, he had just applied a large amount of local anesthetic right where the ring sat, and that caused my finger to swell. First, he asked me to try and move it. When that failed, one of the nurses suggested some vaseline. That didn't work either. They started talking about cutting the ring off, when another doctor walked through and said that he has pulled off rings by putting some sutures around them and pulling. The doctor asked me whether they should try that or just cut it off. I told them I'd like to keep the ring. The biggest reason is because it was the ring that my wife gave me at our wedding, but for another it was the ring that was lost down a sewer grate near the Notre Dame subway station in Paris and was successfully retrieved. If we can get some French subway worker to come and fetch my ring out of a grate during a subway strike on New Year's Day, I wasn't about to lose it by having it cut off my hand. We've been through a lot, my ring and I. So, the doctor looped a suture around the ring and pulled. I didn't watch because my head was strapped down to the table and they had placed my hand out of view. After it was all over, the doctor said "Well, it was probably a good thing you were numbed up for that."

Why did my ring fall down a grate in Paris? I had lost some weight since our wedding, and it was cold the day we spent in Paris. So when I took my glove off to get my subway ticket out of my pocket and reached down to my pocket it fell off my finger. Unfortunately, I happened to be walking over a sewer grate at the time. Fortunately, it made enough of a racket that I noticed it. The struggle getting the ring back that time is a story for another day. Please note: when we got back to the US we went and got the ring resized.

No comments: