background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, June 9, 2008

Possibly Reclusive




I went to the doctor today. I'm having some swelling along my hip line that has become very painful when any type of pressure is applied to it (leaning on the counter, rolling over in bed, William leaning on me or kicking his feet while I hold him). As I suspected, I have a very swollen lymph node along my hip which is probably due to the bite of some kind I got last week around Wednesday or Thursday. The bite area is on the back of my upper right leg usually covered by shorts. Over the weekend, it was hot and very itchy and HUGE. I would guess at its largest, it measured about 6 inches wide by about 4-5 inches long. If you saw me this weekend and it appeared that I was itching my backside, I apologize. The professional medical doctor I saw today agreed with my self diagnosis and went a step further to say that the bite appears to be a classic Brown Recluse spider bite. She said that up to 60% of people who are bitten by these spiders do not have a severe reaction. Her explanation is that I was bitten by some spider on Wednesday or Thursday and my body reacted by Friday with the very swollen lymph nodes which is exactly what my body should be doing. So, the treatment at this time is to use anti inflammatories to help with the swelling and pain. The good news is that we are still okay to fly out to San Diego on Wednesday of this week.

What? I didn't tell you we were going to San Diego? Well, for your information we will be flying out to see my brother and take a little family vacation at the same time. The Grandparents McGarry will also be there at the same time which makes the deal even more attractive. Also, my big, burly neighbor with lots of big guns and tattoos will be watching our house - so don't try anything funny. She is a scary lady. So, all in all I am very relieved that everything is okay for travel and thankful there is nothing serious to report.

William also had a big weekend with bumps of his own. On Friday evening he fell off of the neighbor kid's tricycle. Yes, I know he is too little for the tricycle and his feet don't even reach the ground. But, I was enjoying a quick visit with the neighbor when he climbed on and it seemed harmless at the time. But here are the results:

Big bump located right above his right eyebrow


It was already looking better by Saturday morning - which was good because our neighbor was over twice on Saturday to apologize for him being hurt. Really no need - it was an accident! By this morning it is just a light bruise with a little bump. Not very noticeable at all!

And some pictures from Sunday playing in the yard:


1 comment:

Nicole said...

A brown recluse spider!! YIKES!!! I am glad you are okay!

Poor William! Ouch!!!

Have fun in San Diego... I am jealous :)