background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, June 2, 2008

Hey Lady!

We were out and about this morning. One of the errands we had to run was to pick up one more box of flooring to complete the flooring installation in our office and playroom in the basement. While we were in the store, William was completely captivated by a woman looking at carpeting for her bathroom (seriously, who puts carpet in a bathroom?). William giggled and performed what has become his signature greeting: A huge wave of the right hand and a very sweet sounding "Haaaa" over and over and over and over again. The woman looked up several times to see him waving and saying hi. After a few minutes, I finally looked at him and said "Are you saying hi?" in a voice loud enough she would be able to hear and understand what he was doing, but quiet enough that she could ignore it if she wanted. And she did. She never said hi back to my baby and started to look annoyed. I tried to distract him with the carpet sample books and the toys in the diaper bag. I sang a song and tried to get his attention with my cell phone. Being the stubborn boy he is, William continued to wave and hi and her for the next five or six minutes until we left the store with our flooring.

Would it have been too much to ask for a hi from her? Just a wave, nothing more. Because really. How do I teach my almost 1 and a half year old that some people just aren't friendly?

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I would have said hi! Some people are just not so nice to little kids... isn't that sad?

One time we were at Lowes and Keiran did that to a woman (he was probably about William's age) and she ran over and started kissing him. No lie. Weirdo. I can't win... either I get the ignorer or the attacker with my kids. Gross either way.

Anonymous said...

He could have been saying worse things (and someday might) and then you'll wish they ignore him. You can't win.
Grandpa Kevin