background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, January 7, 2008

Merry Christmas Eve with the Wennerstens!

This one is kind of long, here is a summary. Feel free to read the short version and then skip ahead to the pictures.

Short version: We spent Christmas eve with my mom's family. It was wonderful being together again after several years apart on Christmas. Out of my 28 Christmases, there have been only 3 years I wasn't in Grand Forks for Christmas. We didn't eat because we were sick. We took pictures and opened wonderful gifts.


Long version:
Growing up, we have always spent Christmas Eve with my mom's side of the family and that was the plan this year also. However, it turns out we were packing more than Christmas cheer when we left Rochester. On December 23, John came down with some kind of flu bug. He rested and rested and was sick for the majority of the day. We all stayed clear and tried to enjoy our time with the family and our traditional lunches at La Capana. The evening of December 23rd, the bug spread and took down me, my dad, my sister and eventually my mom*. It was terrible to be sick far away from home on such a special holiday as my baby's first Christmas. So, we spent most of the day laying around and trying to feel better. We were all miserable. Poor John wasn't feeling great yet and had to entertain one very busy toddler by himself in a house full of sick/moaning/whining people. It was a tough day.

We all managed to pull it together for an appearance at the Wennersten's Christmas dinner. I won't say we did much more than that. It was the longest I was upright all day long - and it was hard work. Needless to say, it wasn't the first Christmas I had been planning! I'm a little disappointed with the pictures/lack of pictures, but I do have to say that John is AMAZING. He still wasn't feeling great and was in charge of both photography and keeping William out of trouble. Those two jobs don't really go together!

It spite of the yuckiness, we really enjoyed being together with family for William's first Christmas eve. He enjoyed having lefse again, playing with the wrapping paper, and climbing the stairs at Great Grandma and Grandpa's house.


Cleaning up after dinner: Kevin and Scott clean up the dessert plates.


Great Grandma and Grandpa in front of the tree. Please note: Budd actually DOES know Santa.


Great Grandpa and Grandma with their kids!


Grandma and Grandpa with all their grandkids AND great grandkids.**


Mike is holding William here because I...just couldn't. I was so Very tired!


After the grandchildren picture, I sat down and wasn't feeling like getting up again. So, the McGarry family picture (minus John?) happened on the couch. And yes, I am a little crabby this is the best shot we have.


Wennersten family


I'm calling this one "McGarry Children, in Profile". Nice job John!


Luckily our little boy is brilliant and occupied himself by reading "Ole and Lena" jokes during the photofest.

Kaye & Scott in front of the tree

Again, this is our best shot :( The Heidt family! On the flu!



William playing with one of his favorite Christmas presents. Too bad it wasn't his! It was a rug that is all rolled up with a tag holding it together in the middle. He loved rolling it around!


*It is interesting to note the only people who did not get sick were Michael and William. Interesting, huh?

**The shirt Mike is wearing was ironed by HIM before dinner. During dinner, he managed to spill some sort of sauce on himself as per the Mike McGarry Effect (if you are wearing a shirt, you will spill on it). This shirt was purchased recently when his ship (boat?) sailed from Maine to California. I once knew exactly where it was purchased (somewhere in the south Caribbean?), but I am getting old and feeble and have forgotten.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What great pictures! It looks like you had a really nice holiday despite the flu (BLUCK!). I LOVE the picture of William with the Ole and Lena book. HI LAR I OUS!

Nicole
PS Aaron didn't know who Ole and Lena were until we were up in MN right before Christmas. My mom nearly fell off her chair!