background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Excuses

I want to thank John for the lovely Mother's Day post. It wouldn't have been as much fun if I would have had to write a post about how much I value myself -although I happen to think I'm pretty great. I enjoyed our Mother's Day celebrations very much - sometimes I feel like we get so busy with stuff that we don't make time just to enjoy each other. That is exactly what we were able to do together- and it was awesome. It wasn't at all how I pictured it would be, but it worked. However, this time of year always makes us a sad as there is a Mother who we weren't able to call and thank. There is a hole in our heart the shape and size of Grandma/Mom Heidt. Grandma Heidt's absence is always there, but the anniversary of her death shortly followed by Mother's Day makes it harder somehow. I'm struggling with finding the words to express what we feel and I'm coming up short - we sure do love and miss her. This year I also started think about how and what we are going to say to William. He is understanding more everyday and I want him to know her and what she was like. But, where to begin? What stories should we tell? What things are important for him to know? It is an awesome responsibility and one that will need more time and thought to get it right.

I know I've been avoiding writing anything because I felt like we somehow needed to acknowledge her role in making my Mother's Day possible (ummm, if it isn't obvious, she gave birth to my husband). And putting it into all into words that accurately describe how we are feeling is incredibly difficult.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Enough! On to the baby that is working SO hard to become a big boy and other ramblings. William has made his preference know about where he eats his meals. He has spent a lot of time climbing up onto the chairs at the kitchen table and then having long conversations with myself and the cats from his perch on the chair. Over the past few days we've experimented with putting him at the table for meals in his booster with the hopes he would consume more non milk calories in the process. The verdict? Messier by 3924872938% exactly. Not necessarily more calories consumed, but he sure is proud of himself for being such a big boy.

Today we went to the library for a story time for kids aged 1-2. William sat quietly for about 3 minutes checking things out before deciding this wasn't his thing (sitting). He spent the rest of the 30 minute story time trying to escape from the room. After story time, he was in heaven as he chased around some older kids by the train table. Unfortunately he isn't as graceful or coordinated as them because as he was running after them screeching at the top of his lungs (picture me in hot pursuit whispering loudly "Stop! Running! This is a library! There is NO running in the library! And SHHHH!) he tripped and fell. Only, in his hand was a wooden train from the table. His head hit his hand with the train in it and left a huge red welt across his eye. Tonight it was already beginning to show signs of a bruise, so it is very possible that we will have our very first black eye. Wonderful.

I'm sure we'll be going back for another story time because I thought it was fun. However, I think I must have things to learn about 4-5 year olds. At the library, a group of four 4 and 5 year olds were running around the small children's area barking loudly like dogs much to William's delight (see above for more on that). I was not happy when William tried to join in and was even less happy when I noticed their parents were sitting quietly in the children's area reading books. Without saying a word. The other kids then went on to tell William many times he was not allowed to play with them, yelled at him for being in the children's area and even pushed him down when he tried to join their group. I was standing right behind him and they weren't worried at all. This whole time the parents sat reading less than 4 feet away and said nothing. Luckily William either didn't understand the meanness or didn't care if they were being mean. After the pushing, I felt it was time for us to go and we left and I found myself making promises about our kids and their future behavior. Please someone out there - reassure me that this is not typical behavior of the 4-5 set and their parents.

This weekend, I met a woman who lives up the street who has a 3 month old baby named William. Funny enough, her name is Kelly. Even more funny, her husband's name is not John. I'm already planning on sending the angry parents/police up to her house when our boys are teenagers. If something bad happened, I'm positive it was her kid :)

The coming weekend is Memorial Day. Did you know that? I didn't until last week on Thursday. I was assuming it was the last, last, last in May. So, I began to panic a little. John has a real day off and we don't have any plans! I started making phone calls - everybody already has plans - apparently they have calendars with holidays preprinted hanging in prominent locations around their home. Luckily Grandma Kim and Baba Kevin have decided they would love to travel and are scheduled to arrive on Friday evening. It will be wonderful to see them again and hopefully get a little work done as well as some relaxing family time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kids can be so nasty! I can tell you that most 4-5 yos are NOT like that. I hate it when parents dump their kids off and don't pay attention. Ugh. Keiran would let just about any kid play with him, and is sad when that happens to him (it happened last week at the park with some 10yos). Keiran would play with William nicely, but maybe it is because he has a little brother.