background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Question of the Day

Amelia is going through a huge word explosion. She is picking up words by the dozen every day. So very cute. She uses "hot" for anything that is hot or cold. "Milk" is any liquid she would like to drink. "Down" means she wants to be either up or down, depending on which location she is currently in. "Books" are anything with pages. So, so cute. But I know where it is going.

Where it is going is the point William is at. William now has enough words and is able to string them together to form coherent thoughts (okay, sometimes). He has been asking questions for a long time, but has recently reached the point where I just don't know the answer.

Example:

Do kitties use toilet paper? (asked while innocently perched on the toilet following a discussion regarding the importance of it)

Where does God live?

Why do I poop?

What do ghost do? What are the for?


There is always one question a day that seems to just come out of the blue and take me by surprise. I don't know how to even begin answering some of the things he thinks about.

Then there are the more frustrating ones. Developmentally, I'm sure there is a name for this stage and I learned about it in my Child Development classes. But, I can't remember it now. But the scenario goes a lot like this:

William: What is this for?
Mama: What is it? I can't see you in your room from the kitchen. (usually as I am furiously prepping a meal/cleaning up after a meal/trying to eat a cookie without being detected)
W: What is it?
M: I don't know, I can't see it.
W: Yes you can! Silly! What is it?
M: I don't know, I can't see it. What color is it?
W:......red? Blue?........CRASH!

And then an entire box of toys is emptied onto the floor in which I will step on each and every painful piece in my rush to make sure he is okay. And, I'll never know which toy he had in his hand to figure out what he was thinking. At least five times a day he will have a burning question he expects me to answer without seeing or knowing anything about the particular object in his hand.

No comments: