background

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Amelia's 4 month Appointment

We had Amelia's 4 month appointment with our pediatrician today. It went very well, so I won't bore you with all the details. Amelia is doing what she is supposed to be doing and a little ahead, especially in the physical motor skills area.

Her growth is also right on track as well:

Weight: 16 lbs 7.75 oz (90th percentile)
Up almost 8 pounds since birth 4 months ago!

Height: 26.5 inches (100th percentile)
Up 5 inches since birth!

Head Circumference: 43.5 cm (95th percentile)
Up 6 cm (roughly 2.5 inches) since birth!


We also got the go ahead to start out with the cereal, although right now we are planning to wait awhile before starting this. I was anticipating some disagreement with our doctor on this point and was shocked when she told me it was fine to start when I thought she was ready. For the record, I think Amelia is ready. However, I've done a lot of reading lately regarding the health benefits of delaying the start of solid food for babies. So, we're going to wait for awhile.

Another battle I thought we were going to fight was in regard to Amelia's shots. At this particular appointment, Amelia was scheduled to receive 6 different immunizations. She was scheduled for the same number at her 2 month appointment as well. Although the research is showing that immunizations are not the cause of autism, 6 different ones on one day is too many in my mind. So, we split it up. Amelia received 2 shots and one oral vaccine at this appointment and we'll return for a "quick stick" appointment in another month for the rest of them. We requested the same thing at our 2 month appointment and met a lot of resistance from our doctor. I'm not sure what changed her mind, but this time she actually offered to do shots the same as last time without us having to request it. I have several theories, but none of them are really that interesting (unless your name is Jenn Hawn, and then I think you'll want to hear this).

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Grow Amelia Grow! Isn't it amazing how fast they grow??? Look at that... 5 inches in 4 months! Amazing :)

I am with you on the immunizations... they do SO many at one time. FYI you can ask for immunizations that are thimerosal free (contains murcury) which is supposedly the source for immunizations issues. Maybe you already knew that? Probably :)

Tom and Robyn said...

Wow! Big girl and great growing. I think Mariella is 17+ lbs. right now, so they are about the same size! I agree, 6 meds are a lot to receive all at once.

I haven't given much thought to solids yet. I kind of wonder if I'll hear about it if we go to the 6 month check not having tried it. It's funny that when Jacob was a baby I couldn't wait to start solids. Maybe it's because I know what all it entails this time. :)